Most of us experience some kind of negative stress in our lives; be it as a result of our work, our personal relationships, our financial circumstances or other factors beyond our control. Sustained periods of stress can impact our health, leaving us feeling exhausted, irritable or anxious. As our bodies pump adrenaline in response to stress, we prepare ourselves for “fight or flight” through a series of hormonal and nervous responses.
Tips for Stress Reduction
- Avoid stimulants such as caffeine and taurine as much as possible. You should aim to limit coffee intake to one cup per day and avoid consuming alcohol.
- Sleep for at least 7 hours per day.
- Learn to breathe. When you feel overcome with stress, pay close attention to your breath and consider mindful breathing exercises.
- Work on maintaining good posture throughout the day.
- Take a bath with salts after work to promote relaxation.
- Be sure to plan your day in advance to manage your time effectively and avoid any last-minute rushing.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
Stress can impact our immunity, so it’s important to eat a balanced diet to ensure that we don’t become vulnerable to disease or infection.
- Vitamin A: Eating foods rich in beta-carotenes, such as green vegetables, carrots and tomatoes, is important for strengthening the immune system.
- Vitamin C: Found in citrus fruits, vitamin C helps in the production of adrenaline and macrophages, which are also important for immunity.
- Folic Acid: We should include spinach, wheat-germ and red meat in our diets. These foods are important for strengthening our defenses.
- Proteins: Stressful situations increase the demand for proteins, which can be found in fish, meat and dairy products.
- Omega 3 and 6: Oily fish, such as salmon, trout, tuna and sardines, contain omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which are important for maintaining healthy cholesterol levels.
Garum Armoricum is a food supplement derived from fish, which contains free amino acids, as well as omega 3 and 6 fatty acids. These fatty acids work to modulate certain brain functions, contributing to an anti-stress effect and a general improvement in psychological behaviour. Clinical studies in Japan, France and the USA have shown that Garum Armoricum significantly reduces stress levels without producing the side-effects associated with other pharmaceuticals. It is also known to improve the quality of sleep, and to improve general well-being and motivation.
Garum Armoricum is the key ingredient in our Stabilinat supplement, which can be found in all of our stores. To find out more or to book a free nutritionist consultation, give us a call on +353 (0)1 406 2798 to reach our Rathmines store, or +353 (87) 619 7020 to reach the visiting nutritionist at any of our pharmacy locations.